Is LOVE all you need in a relationship?
Today is my 26th wedding anniversary. Twenty-six years, I can not believe it has been that long. Twenty-six years I have been married to the love of my life.
Can I sit here and tell you that they have been the best days of my life? Can I say that everything has been sunshine and roses? No way!! We have had some really hard times in our marriage! Times that most would have thrown in the towel and walked away.
We have also had many, many amazing times together!
Was it love that kept us together? Sure, love is part of it but it is not all.
A marriage takes more than love!
Love- Do You Need More in a Relationship?
I asked some friends of mine to answer this question What more do you need in a relationship besides love? Here are their responses:
-Loyalty, honesty, and trust
-Intimacy and involvement. I don’t want him to sit on the sidelines, I want him to mingle in our family life. When he is involved with the kids, that’s going to add major love points for me!
-I definitely want support/encouragement and also help!!
-Faithfulness, grace and selflessness Losing the fantasy marriage syndrome
–My big 3 are honesty, loyalty, and trust, but I also think the following are important! Similar tastes in food–makes cooking and eating meals much easier when we both are nuts for spicy foods and vegetables. I once dated a guy who could only eat bread and french fries and sweets. Needless to say, it did not end well.
It’s also great to be entertained by the same things…I don’t know how many people would love spending hours playing “High Stakes Farkle” while watching hours and hours of old 80s videos and commercials, but we love doing that together! Jessica of JebbicasWorld
As you can see by their responses it takes more than LOVE to keep a relationship strong.
After 26 years of marriage here are my 5 ways to help keep your relationship strong.
- Enjoy each other as much as possible. Make it a priority to seek each other out in your day. It is so easy to push our loved one to the back burner.
- Communicate- Talk to each other.
- Compromise- It does not have to always be their way or my way. Work together to find a compromise.
- Choose your battles- Think about it do you really want to have a full blown “discussion” on the proper place to keep the TV remote? Too many couples bicker and fight over the littlest things!
- See the good in your partner and let them know that you see the good in them. You appreciate them and are thankful for them.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner here are some great game ideas for you and your love to play.
I would love to hear your answer in the comment section- What more do you need in a relationship besides love?