Wait! What? March Budget?? Can you believe it is time to plan our March budget? If it feels like you just planned February’s budget I am right there with you! This month flew by! Well, with only 28 days it was a shorter month after all.
Let’s get to it, how was your month? Did you meet your budget goals? Did you stick to your budget? Did you spend more than you planned? Maybe you saved some? Take some time and review your budget for February. Look and to see what changes you can make this month.
Things to look for when reviewing a budget:
First of all, let me just say this, you should NOT be waiting until the end of the month to look at your finances and ask yourself so how did I do! Budgeting is a daily, weekly, and monthly thing. Might as well add yearly here too, haha.
In order to truly manage our finances, we have to know where our money is going and why it is going there at all times. Ok, back to our things to look for when reviewing our budget.
A budget will rarely work out exactly as you planned. Take a look and see where you overspent and underspent. First, if you overspent in a category you may not have planned enough, to begin with. Be realistic don’t try to plan a $100 monthly grocery budget for 4 people. All that does is set yourself up for disappointment when your budget is not working. Did you underspend in a category? Again ask yourself was the amount that you allocated or set aside realistic?
When you plan your monthly budget for March expect to make adjustments to your categories throughout the month. It is all part of the process of budgeting, especially in the beginning of your budgeting journey.
New to budgeting? In our Family Finance Category, you will find lots of information on how to start and maintain life on a budget.
Plan your Monthly Budget for March
Here are a few of my favorite budgeting resources:
Budgeting in EveryDollar is easy — it takes less than 10 minutes to create your first budget!
Quicken 2017 is here! From budgeting to planning for the future, we make managing your money a snap so you can take that next step in your life.
If you prefer a printable worksheet here is this one Free Budget Worksheet
A few extra things to remember when you’re creating your monthly budget for this month:
If you plan to do any traveling this spring. Add in or use the money that you already have set aside for maintenance on your vehicle. Be sure to check google for oil change coupons.
- March Madness– Having guests over to watch the basketball games? Plan for extra in your grocery/food category.
- Taxes– The deadline for 2017 filing is just around the corner it is Tuesday, April 18th. Be sure to budget for tax prep and/or filing fees this month.
- Spring Break– add in a bit extra to the entertainment category.
Notable Happenings this Month:
- March 1st National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day- How about a Peanut Butter Cookie?
- March 6th National Frozen Foods Day- Did you make any of these amazing make-ahead dinners from the freezer to the crockpot recipes?
- March 7th National Cereal Day- How about some cereal snack mix?
- March 9th is National Barbie Day. Here are a few tips to help organize them 25 Kids Room Organization (on a Budget) Ideas
- March 10th National Pack Your Lunch Day – Easy Healthy Lunch Ideas (on a Budget)
- March 17th St.Patrick’s Day – Catch a Leprechaun with these Leprechaun’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Hint of Mint
- National Cleaning Week – March 26 – April 1, 2017 (Last Week) Why not earn some money at the same time you clean? What? I Can Clean My House and Make Money Too?
Additional Budgeting Tips
Pin This Image To Save For Later